As millions of Christian celebrated Easter this Sunday morning, the Islamic State destroyed the Virgin Mary Church in Tel Nasri, northeast Syria.
The Assyrian church of Virgin Mary was built and consecrated in 1934. It was then temporarily closed for renovation and reopened in 2005.
According to Arabic media reports, the church was leveled around 9 a.m. today (Syrian time). Loosely translated as “Christian Hill,” Tel Nasri is an ancient Assyrian Christian village.
It is one of the dozens of Christian villages along the Khabur river that were attacked and occupied by the Islamic State in late February (more here and here).